The Lucas County Sheriff’s Office Civil Section carries out the sheriff’s statutory responsibility for the service of all paperwork, which includes summons, subpoenas, motions of various types, and papers relating to divorce, child support and custody, foreclosures, and writs. These civil documents, which originate within the courts of Ohio and from any state in the United States, can be processed, but certain conditions may apply.
The Civil Section also enforces levies and writs of attachment and conducts Sheriff’s Sales to aid in the collection of money judgments.
These services are completed by five deputies and four clerks who are assigned under the sheriff.
Search the online database to find out whether your documents have been served.
For information about having your documents served, contact the Civil Section at 419-213-4786 and follow the prompts or visit the section’s public window in the Lucas County Courthouse at 700 Adams Street in Toledo, Ohio. These phone and in-person services are both available during regular business hours (Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.).
Civil Section Fee Schedule
For the service and return of the following writs and orders:
- Writ of possession or restitution: $60
- Subpoena for each person named in the writ (criminal or civil): $10
- All summonses, writs and orders, or notices for the first name: $6
- For each summons, writ, order, subpoena or notice, a fee of $2 for the first mile and then $1 for each additional mile
For foreclosure returns:
- Order of sale of/on partition for the first tract: $50
- Other order of sale of real property for the first tract: $50
- Poundage on all moneys actually made and paid to the sheriff on execution, decree or sale of real estate will be 1.5 percent
- Making and executing a deed of land sold on execution, decree or order of the court, a fee of $50 (to be paid by the purchaser)